We here at ROBOTICON are super stoked for our live Tampa Bay Kick-off event at the Doolittle Institute’s SOFWERX facility in Ybor City tomorrow morning! In collaboration with Eureka! Factory, SOCOM & SOFWERX, we’ve got a great event lined up for our local Kick off teams!
- 9:00 Welcome & Introduction of Alumni & Special Guests
- 9:15 Opening by James “Hondo” Guerts, SOCOM: Importance of Robotics & Robotics at SOCOM/TALOS
- 9:35 Robotics Engineering – Dean Robert Bishop, University of South Florida
- 9:45 Workshop: Engineering solutions, teamwork, making yourself valuable – Beth Hanning, Doolittle Institute
- 10am Team Intros & Upcoming Events for FIRST Teams at SOFWERX
- 10:30 Kick-Off: Live Streaming broadcast
- 11:30 Game Element Reveal
- 12:00 Kit of Parts Distribution
- 12:30 Tour of SOFWERX for teams and special guests
Now that’s a Kick off of epic proportions! But it’s only one of 114 events going on worldwide. Here’s a few more facts about the 2016 FIRST Robotics Competition season:
- The 2016 season will include more than 3,000 teams (75,000 high-school students), grades 9-12, participating in 118 Regional and District events.
- Teams will have six weeks to design and build a robot to meet this year’s engineering challenge.
- At Kickoff, teams will be shown the FIRST STRONGHOLD game field and challenge details for the first time, and will receive a Kit of Parts made up of motors, batteries, control system components, construction materials, and a mix of additional automation components – with limited or no instructions