Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education: The ROBOTICON Issue!

NIE cover
Click image to download your NIE ROBOTICON issue.

This year, with enormous gratitude to Hillsborough County, Florida and the Hillsborough Economic Development Innovation Initiative, and Comcast NBCUniversal, we’re pleased to be able to provide companion education content for ROBOTICON Tampa Bay 2015 through a dedicated Newspaper in Education issue.

The Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education (NIE) program is a cooperative effort between schools and the Times to promote the use of newspapers as an educational resource – a “living textbook”. NIE provides schools with class sets of the Times plus their curricula at no cost to schools, teachers or students. The Times absorbs all production costs and 75% of the cost of newspapers; the remaining 25%  of the newspaper cost is paid for through the sponsorships of generous community-minded companies, government agencies, foundations and individuals. In the Tampa Bay area, teachers order more than 5 million newspapers for their classrooms every year.  This year, we’re proud that ROBOTICON is among the educational offerings included by NIE.

In addition to making newspapers available free to classrooms- the ROBOTICON TampaBay 2015 issue is going out to middle and high school classrooms across five counties –  NIE also provides an e-edition, iPad app, supplemental materials, curriculum guides, scholastic contests and educator workshops free of charge. All NIE teaching materials cover a variety of subjects and are consistent with Florida’s Next Generation Sunshine State Standards. NIE also publishes statewide projects in partnership with other newspapers under the auspices of Florida Press Educational Services, Inc. (FPES), a 501(c)(3) organization.

To learn more about FIRST in education, including standards alignment, please visit the FIRST in Florida Education page.  Educators are welcome to attend our free Educators Workshop on October 10th (registration is open through Sept. 30) and ROBOTICON Tampa Bay is free and open to the public on both days, October 10 and 11.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s