- 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition Kick Off
- January 6 – 10am to noon
- SOFWERX – 1925 E 2nd Avenue, Suite 102 -Tampa, FL 33605
For the 3rd year in a row, SOFWERX , this year in partnership with the Foundation for Community Driven Innovation, is hosting a live Tampa FIRST Robotics Competition Kick off . Created as a partnership between Defensewerx (formerly Doolittle Institute) and SOCOM, the goal of SOFWERX is to spur collaboration and innovative problem solving – the perfect location to learn the new season challenge!
Tampa Bay area teams will join more than 90,000 high school students from over 3600 teams worldwide, seeing the unveiling of 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition challenge: FIRST POWER UP! The SOFWERX kick off is one of over 100 live events going on around the world on January 6.
FIRST Robotics Competition is the ultimate Sport for the Mind, highlighted each year at our annual ROBOTICON STEM Showcase event. FIRST Robotics Competition combines the excitement of sport and beauty of art with the rigors of science and technology, teams of high school students (ages 14 – 18/grades 9 – 12) are challenged to design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program robots in just six weeks to perform tasks against a field of competitors.
Teams work together to build, program and test robots with the guidance of adult mentors. Teams then compete with their robots as family and friends cheer from the stands at more than 160 events worldwide – all leading up to the 2018 FIRST Championship, April 18 – 21 in Houston, TX and April 25 – 28 in Detroit, MI.
At the SOFWERX kick off, teams will be shown the FIRST POWER UP! game field and challenge details via livestream for the first time, and will receive a Kit of Parts made up of motors, batteries, control system components, construction materials, and a mix of additional automation components – with limited instructions. Then they’ll have six weeks to design and build a robot to meet this year’s engineering challenge.
Dignitaries and public figures will deliver remarks on video and in person, including:
• Dean Kamen, President, DEKA Research & Development and Founder, FIRST;
• Dr. Woodie Flowers, FIRST Distinguished Advisor, and Co-Chair of the FIRST Executive Advisory Board; Pappalardo Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
• Donald E. Bossi, President, FIRST;
• FIRST students & special guests including: Special Guests: Brian Andrews – Deputy Director, SOFWERX ; Dr. Robert Bishop, Dean of the USF College of Engineering, Presentation on SolidProfessor training resources, by Greg Serio of The People of Manufacturing and more!
• Participating teams are also receiving mini grants courtesy of Defensewerx .
If you’d like to see the kick off, or learn more, please email Terri@FFCDI.org